Monday, October 5, 2009

In A Game You May or May Not Have Seen. . .

This game brought out emotion in me for two reasons.

One, because it showed a lot of resiliency by the boys in blue. They started off like their legs were still at whatever bar they celebrated at on Saturday night (just guessing there) but ended up rebounding to put together a pretty tenacious effort against their cross river rivals.

That was such a relief to see. The pressure on the puck, the pace of the game. By the end, it was fantastic. By the end the Rangers had won, 3-2 the final.

Our #30 is now 15-2-4 against their #30, for those into stats. =)

And kudos to Tortorella for not being afraid to take a time out less than 2 minutes into the game. Everyone needed to be woken up - even Staal who usually looks sharper, looked feeble in the early going.

Luckily they did and the lucky fans were treated to a great game. A game where Del Zotto got a smart goal on the powerplay (the Rangers had two PP markers on the night) and other rookie Matt Gilroy got his first NHL goal against the future Hall of Famer Brodeur. And the game winner!

Loved it. Seriously loved it.

But as much as I loved it, I couldn't help but be sad for the fans that didn't get to see it.

While I completely agree with DirecTV not wanting to pay outrageous sums for a network that shows shark chasing, bull riding, and x-treme fighting in addition to hockey, I'm still upset that there seems to be no solution to the problem.

I was one of the lucky ones in that I got to watch the game. But my family didn't. I know many of my friends didn't.

Sure, there are more important things in life than hockey. Of course we all know that.

But how great was it to see Gilroy's 1st goal? How great was it to see him smile during the intermission interview? How great was it to see Marty sweat out yet another loss to Henrik Lundqvist?

It's just a shame that so many didn't get the chance.

No comments: