Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thank You Captain Canuck. . .


So the real reason I did not watch the Kings/Rangers game, was because I was, at the last minute, scrambling to watch the Trevor Linden Night ceremony.




I thought, mistakenly, it was starting at 10 for the 10:30 game time start. Nope. So I happen to flick around the channels and find that they are, indeed, showing the ceremony. I missed a large part of it, but I got to hear Trevor's speech and see his banner raised, which is always my favorite part.

Because I didn't see it all (hopefully I can catch some on youtube this weekend), I can't really comment on the details. Except what I did see was beautiful. And I must ask, is there a more humble athlete in all of sports?

Trevor said to the fans:

"It's hard for me to express my gratitude to you. I often have people come up to me and thank me. It should be the other way around. Thank you for letting me into your lives."

In a sports world of so many selfish people, Trevor shines as an example of the way athletes should be. Accessible, grateful, and kind. For him to be so humble is simply a rarity. No one will argue that Linden is the greatest player ever. He wasn't. But was he an incredible player and an even more incredible person. And that combination is both rare and special, and he was honored in the perfect way last night by the city, team, and province that so loves him.

When I think of Trevor Linden, I think of his shy smile, and those eyes that show a mirror to the passion and compassion of a man who knew his role was more important than just what he did on the ice. As a Rangers fan, if one small part of my heart is sad for the Rangers winning the Cup in 1994, it is only because of how much I admire and respect the guy that captained the other side.

He didn't get another chance, but I think he's okay with that. He realizes it was the journey and all the people he met along the way. How amazing to be such an important person to so many. I'm sorry, Trevor, you may disagree, but I think we should definitely be thanking you.

I'll close with this. Trevor said, that when fans come, with their sons, daughters, friends, and they looked upon his #16 jersey hanging in the rafters, they should be sure to express that he had a great family supporting him and great teammates beside him, that it was not just his accomplishment but the collective accomplishments of many that got him where he is.

"Please tell them he had the time of his life playing the game that he loved for the most incredible fans."

Thank you, Trevor. Thank you so much.


**There are dozens, but here are just a couple great write-ups:


No comments: