Thursday, April 9, 2009

Around the League: Quick Hits. . .

Habs:

According to the Team990 in Montreal, Habs defenseman Mathieu Schneider, who was told by team doctors to get season ending surgery for a partially torn rotator cuff, met with a doctor in New York on Tuesday to get a second opinion. Apparently his equipment was on a plane to Boston late last night. And as per RDS, he is skating with the team this morning.

Now, I have heard many fake rumours on Montreal radio, BUT, they do tend to get the scoop first. This would be a very interesting development if Schneider were to play tonight in Boston. Carey Price and Tim Thomas are the scheduled starters. Just one point for Montreal and they will be secured a spot in the playoffs.

Columbus:

When all the playoff seeding/teams have been decided, I will review my pre-season predictions and give myself some props and some much needed smacks in the head. It should be a good read. In the meantime, however, I can't let the day go by without saying how incredibly happy I am that Columbus is finally going to the playoffs. FINALLY!

If you haven't heard the story yet in my rambling, I was a big Manny Malhotra fan when he was on the Rangers, so when he ended up in Columbus via Dallas I paid a lot more attention to the Blue Jackets than many. I admired how the fans flocked to what I've heard is a beautiful arena in Nationwide and supported their team, and hoped year after year that they'd finally make the playoffs for themselves and their fans. When Ken Hitchcock took over and was set to coach them for a full year (last year), I felt sure they'd get in. Sadly, they did not, and that became the first time a team coached by Hitchcock for a full year failed to make the second season. Thankfully it only took one more year. I, ironically, did not choose Columbus in my Western predictions, but if there is one time I'm happy to be wrong - this is most certainly it. Big Kudos to the Blue Jackets. Looking forward to it.

No comments: